Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist | Season 2 Episode 5 - "Zoey's Extraordinary Trip"


Spoiler Alert!

 

Hello everybody!

Hmm... Can we go back to the first episodes of the season, please? I mean, don't get me wrong, the show is still amazing and I love it to death but... This episode was a bit of a mess. Not really in terms of structure or on a technical level, I'm talking about the story itself. This episode was so down compared to all the other ones... I mean, there were sad episode but this one was just messy and everything going wrong... And I guess that was the point.

After how that last episode ended we thought we were going to get a 'love square' and, not only that didn't happen, but also I don't think that's going to happen anymore. I feel like this new guy, Aiden, was just a way for Zoey to loosen up, which was exactly what this whole episode was about. The thing about Zoey is that she cares a lot (Max even says that in the episode) and that was 'sort of' messing with her head so she decided to take a day off, be 'rebellious' and not give a f*ck. And that's when everything starts going sour.

I guess the main thing of this episode (and the reason for the title of the episode) was Zoey doing drugs. I must say that I sort of had a spoiler for that Starships scene because I was listening to the soundtrack of the show on Spotify and I had it on shuffle and suddenly that music comes on and I did not remember it from previous episodes and so I realized that they had the songs from the new episode already there... So yeah, I saw that coming and, even though I did like the sequence and loved what they did with the cinematography and camera movements, I also thought that scene was a bit annoying. I like so much more drunk Zoey. But also, I don't like her and Aiden. I thought I would like to see that 'square' but I'm not a fan of it anymore. I don't see the chemistry between her and Aiden. Plus, Danny Michael David being there was also annoying and... I wasn't a fan of that trio so, as you might suspect, I didn't like a big portion of the episode. Luckily, there were more story-lines in the episode for me to enjoy. The downside? They all went sour so... There's that.

Well, speaking of other stories in the episode that I liked... This was the episode that I talked about in my last rant - the one where we would find out more about Max and his dad and... Guess what? Yes, my favorite musical number of the episode was 'Numb'. Again, Skylar Astin, but also it was such a different arrangement and different vibe... I loved it! And, even though the way Max's dad treated him was horrible, that is something that a lot of people go through so I loved that it was so relatable. Again, this didn't end up well, but I'm sure Max and Mo will figure it out.

Someone else that had problems with her work was Maggie. Because of everything that happened with the other guy in the last episode, he started treating Maggie in a rude way which pissed of Jenna and she went to Maggie's rescue. Unfortunately, Jenna did some childish things and Maggie had to fire her (also Maggie lost that job, so there's also that). 

And so, it was in that moment, at dinner, with everyone having their own problems, that Zoey realized that she had to care. She wasn't able to not 'give a f*ck' and she tried to do something about Maggie and Jenna's relationship which, luckily, ended up well. Jenna still left (I think) but at least in good terms and I hope we get to see more of Jenna because she was so much fun!

Anyway, just to finish it of, I need to talk about the whole Simon thing about the Chirp watches not recognizing black people. I mean, I get it. It was subtitle enough, but at this point every show is targeting that that it doesn't feel 'real' anymore. I get it, it is a problem, but it almost looks like, if you don't talk about it, your complacent and that's not the case. Again, I think it flowed well enough with the story so I'm not mad about it. Heck, I know it's a problem, but I also think that shows want to talk about it more now because of the climate that we're in... I don't know, I would love to know your take on this because I know I'm probably not the right person to talk about it. 

But I guess that's it from me. This wasn't my favorite episode, everything was just going wrong and I want more lighthearted episodes so I hope we get the loving and caring Zoey and we get to see more 'happy' moments. And we'll see what happens with Simon (with how the episode ended) and with Aiden and Zoey and Max... It's crazy so I'm curious. 

Let me know your thoughts on the episode, on the whole racism and sexism part of the episode, on the 'love square', tell me everything, and I'll talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment