Pages

Monday, October 24, 2022

American Horror Story: NYC | Season 11 Episode 1 - "Something's Coming"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello people!

American Horror Story is back and, of course, I'm back to talk about it.

Reviewing AHS is an interesting task... You never really know what you're going to get each season and, for the past years, people just started loosing faith in the show (it's actually so surprising how this keeps being renewed! I guess people just keep watching it.) and that's sort of what happened to me.

In past seasons I was sort of excited about the themes. I was still afraid that they would mess things up, which they usually did with their last episodes, but for the first time, I was just not feeling this season - which I guess was a good thing. For the first time they didn't do that thing of hinting at the theme and giving little trailers for people to guess... They did ask people what they wanted to see but nothing really came out of that (unless that was just them really asking for ideas for future seasons, who knows). Instead, they just dropped the theme and title suddenly and nothing else. They gave us some character posters but, truth be told, NYC is not exactly a very clarifying theme, so I really didn't know what to expect from this season.

As I said, not knowing and having low expectations was sort of nice. Not that I'm saying this season looks amazing, because it doesn't, but at least it's a change of pace - literally. 

This season is all about a serial killer targeting gay men and, because of that, we sort of have a crime thriller mystery instead of a full on horror show about ghosts, or spirits, or demons. It's something more subtle, which I enjoyed.

However, obviously there's some thing that are just repetitive and just annoying. I like that Ryan Murphy is staying true to himself and having a story focused on the gay community but most of his shows are just overly sexualized and not that it bothers me, it's just that it's the same thing over and over again in all of his shows. If it wasn't for the slow thriller aspect of this season (at least, the vibe I'm getting for this first episode) this would just be your typical Ryan Murphy show - because yes, even his other shows that aren't AHS are like this.

Anyway, so we follow a bunch of characters that are part of the gay community and that one way or another are 'connected' to this serial killer - there's the police officer, the reporter, the photographer that is somewhat a psychic as well... There's a lot of cliché characters, now that I think about it, but they are well stablished in this first episode and the story seems coherent (as of now) so let's see where this leads.

At the same time, there's another story that doesn't really look connected to this serial killer one - it's the plot revolving around Billie Lourd's character, Dr. Hannah Wells, who's doing some research on a virus and commands her team to shoot and kill a herd of deer on Fire Island in order to contain this virus. I can see where this might be connected to the main plot (sort of a metaphor for being gay being a virus and someone out there killing all these men) but I hope I'm wrong and they do something different with this. Let's see...

But I guess that's it from me for this first episode. I'm going to watch the second one right away so expect a new rant pretty soon. In the meantime, let me know your thoughts on this new season and I'll talk to you really soon!

Love,
Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment