Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

Shadowhunters | Season 2 Episode 16 - "Day of Atonement"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello everyone!
So, just like promised, here I am with a new Shadowhunters rant. I know I'm a little bit late and for that I'm sorry. Also, I won't be able to post the rant of the new episode but, hopefully, I'll be able to watch the episode tomorrow and then I'll post the rant so, expect a new Shadowhunters rant in the next days.
As you could tell from my previous rant (my The Challenge rant), I've been really eager to watch this new Shadowhunters episodes, mainly this one. Not only because it is a Sebastian centered episode, and I've been crushing on Will Tudor like really hard, but also because this episode was directed by Paul Wesley (who was actually in Portugal when this episode aired, just a side note).
You know I love Paul Wesley mainly because of The Vampire Diaries and he already directed some episodes on TVD, so I was expecting some great things, also because let's just say that Shadowhunters' episodes aren't the best so this was going to be really good for the series. Well, let's just say that I wasn't disappointed!
In terms of the directing, I could really see some similarities from TVD and, in general, I really liked it. Storywise, I really enjoyed it too! There wasn't that many cringey moments and, just like Paul Wesley said in the Behind the Scenes for this episode, Alan and Will's work in this episode was seriously so good and I can't wait to see more of those too. (I'm sorry I ever said that I wanted the Valentine storyline to be over.).
So, like I said, this episode was really centered on Sebastian and we finally got to know who he really his (even though basically everyone already knew) and what really happened to him. From what I've read on the internet, they changed his storyline a little bit from what it was in the books but, since I don't know what his really story was, I can't coment on that. All I can say is that I liked what he said and I was already kind of expecting it, to be honest. He was basically in hell and that's why he's all burned and everything.
The thing that I didn't know was all the stuff that Valentine did to him, like keeping him in that basement and teaching him about physics and all that. I must say, even though this might sound a little creepy, I really liked that line where he said that killing was the only thing that he was good at. That really set the tone for his character!
Anyway, while all this is happening in Valentine's cabin, in the institute they are looking for Valentine. That's when Jace thinks that he might find something in Valentine's old cabin and asks the Clave to open a portal to go there. The Clave refuses but that's when Clary sees a rune and is able to create a portal. I kind of already new this too but it was fine. I gotta say that Clary's scenes are the most cringey to me but I can deal with that now, I think I'm getting used to it. 
So, with that portal, they go there but, of course, something has to go wrong and Clary drinks some of the water from the Lake and starts hallucinating. That's when she sees angel Ithuriel and he tells her that Jonathan is still alive. Of course Clary thinks he's talking about Jace when, in fact, he's talking about 'Sebastian'.
Meanwhile, in the institute, Alec senses that Jace is in trouble and needs his help. He finds out about Jace and Clary sneeking out and, with the help of his father he sends Izzy to help them.
Izzy finds him and that's when she tells him about the water and that they need to find Clary to help her.
They find her but, of course, she's already hallucinating and start fighting against them. That's when Jace uses his angel powers and uses the healing rune on Clary without her stele. That was a pretty cool visual effect, I might say. I know that in the books Jace's eyes are golden but they couldn't use it in the show so it was nice to see a glimpse of it now.
Anyway so, after healing Clary, Jace, Izzy and Clary go looking for the cabin. They eventually find it but it is already empty.
Jace takes some journals from Valentine that were in the Cabin and start reading them. They are all about Jonathan. He tells Clary and both think that the journals are about Jace. That's when Clary realizes that Jonathan died when he was younger and that's when she remembers what the angel told her and realizes that Jonathan is alive.
The ending scene is Sebastian/Jonathan and Valentine eating.
It was a really creepy scene, I might say, but that I loved!
It wasn't like a wow ending, but it was pretty cool and I seriously can't wait to see those two working together. Both of them already have a Mortal Instrument, which means they only need one more so, It's going to be interesting from now on!
Like I said, the new rant will only be up, hopefully, tomorrow! I don't promise anything, but I'm going to try my best, after all, I also really want to watch the new episode so...
Anyway, let me know your thoughts on the episode, what you think about Sebastian/Jonathan (what should I call him now?) and what are your predictions for the rest of the season (I haven't seen the Comic Con trailer yet so, no spoilers please).
I'll see you hopefully tomorrow.
Love,
Daniela.


No comments:

Post a Comment