Pages

Friday, July 16, 2021

The Flash | Season 7 Episode 17 - "Heart of the Matter, Part 1"


Spoiler Alert!

 

Hello people!

Okay, here we are with the second to last episode of the season. And I know I'm late (as usual) but life has been crazy and, to be honest, this season of The Flash has been so bland that I do not have the excitement to talk about it. But I'll preserver and I'll keep on talking about how the show has been declining in quality.

With all of this, I guess you realized by now that this was another mediocre episode. It's such a shame because not only this was basically the introduction of Bart Allen, which got me excited for this episode, but this was also the 150th episode and that should've been such a great episode - at least, something different and exciting. Yes, this had Nora and Bart and most of all, it had Cisco back but, to be honest, Cisco hasn't been gone for that long so it doesn't really seem like a 'comeback'. In previous seasons he has been absent for more episodes than he was now that he's out of the show.

Anyway, this being the second to last episode, of course they had to keep going with the same story-line. Not that I'm mad about it, I actually enjoy the Godspeed story, but I wish they would've done more with that. The whole thing with Barry fighting the 'clones', which was what this episode was mainly about - Barry, Nora and Bart fighting them - wasn't my favorite, but I like Godspeed has a villain and I really enjoyed how this episode ended, actually... 

This episode also focused a lot on getting to know Bart and how Godspeed is his 'Thawne', because he murdered Jay Garrick in from of him. Iris was also back for this episode which, to be honest, was odd having in mind all the story of her having to be away and whatnot. I don't know, this whole episode was pretty messy and they tried to make us care about Bart but it didn't really work because we haven't been with him for that long. And then there's the whole thing of the Godspeeds capturing Jay and Bart fighting them... It's a lot and I'm not in the mood to get into all of that. I just need to say that, in the end, Barry saves everyone (including Jay and Bart) with Cisco's help. 

Then, the cool part of the episode - Cecile helping Barry enter August Hart's mind and him encountering the real Godspeed and the version of Hart that remembers everything. It was an odd choice to make Barry go into his mind but I did like how menacing Godspeed looked and talked so... I'm curious to see where this goes.

To finish this rant I need to talk about two random story-lines that were also present in the episode - Allegra's story about Esperanza being dead and her telling Chester about that, and Joe and Kramer's story that is so boring but, somehow, I know there's something that she's still hiding so... Yeah, there's that.

It's such a bummer that this season is turning out the way that it is turning out. I feel like they had nice ideas with Godspeed being the villain and Frost having a love interest but then they mix things that don't make sense and, let's be honest, not having Tom Cavanagh nor Carlos Valdes makes all the difference and I will be surprised if the show is renewed for season 9 (because it is renewed for Season 8 already).

Let me know what you thought of the episode as well as your overall thoughts on the season and I'll talk to you in my next rant!

Love,

Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment