Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2023

The Flash | Season 9 Episode 5 - "The Mask of the Red Death, Part 2"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello people!

Yes, it's real, I'm here on time, the day after the episode airs to talk to you about it so let's not waste any time and get to it!

This episode, unlike the last one, was so damn predictable! Predictable and so cringe! I guess they really stayed true to the essence of the show and made this one super cliché - full of all the things that we expect from the show - pep talks, Barry getting to the bad guys with words and people not really dying.

Remember what I said in my previous rant about Mark? Well, guess what?! He isn't really dead. Wow, I'm so suprised (not). Don't get me wrong, I'm actually really happy that he isn't, and his new storyline with Khione is looking really interesting (what can I say, I love a bit of romance) but let's be honest, no one really thought he was dead for real and, as per usual, The Flash plays it like it's a huge surprise when it really isn't.

Anyway, that's basically how the episode starts - with The Rogues attacking CCPD, capturing Kramer and, in order to find Red Death, they get help from Cecile which, with her powers, she finds Red Death but finds someone else as well - Mark. 

Post that, of course Barry plans to rescure Mark and, when he does so, he's attacked by Red Death, who drains him off his powers and creates psychic extensions of herself around the world, with the help of none other than Grodd.

I guess when it comes to bringing back big characters the show is doing a great job - incorporating Hartley, Goldface and all the other 'bad guys' and now Grodd is making the show more interesting. And let's not forget the fact that it's confirmed that Zoom, Eddie and Oliver are going to be in this season is what's making me a little bit excited for the remaining of it. 

But back to the episode, the story that I'm most interested in right now is Mark/Khione, because in this episdoe Khione awakens Mark with a kiss (really Sleeping Beauty like) and we see a cold breath getting out of Mark's mouth and basically into Khione's and we also see in the preview that Mark is going to start 'training' Khione so she can find her powers and, having in mind that I don't know anthing about this Khione character, I'm really looking forward to know what's going to happen with her. And, obviously, I would love some romance between them because the Frost/Mark romance was shortlived.

Well, after that stuff with Khione and Mark, we get back to the Grodd storyline and, after that usual talk between Joe and Barry, Barry goes to Grodd to appeal to his soft/hero side to help The Flash. After Barry agrees to help Grodd find his community, Grodd helps to restore his speed and they dispel Red Death's doubles. And, in the end, with the help of Hartley's group and the main timeline's Ryan, Barry defeats Red Death and she's locked up in an A.R.G.U.S. facility. 

Two weeks later, Joe moves to the countryside with Jenna while Cecile stays on Team Flash, and at his farewell party, Chester and Allegra continue their relationship and Khione announce Iris' pregnancy, which wasn't supposed to begin for another three months. 

With all of these set ups, it's really a shame that the only thing I'm excited about is what I mentioned before - Mark/Khione. It's a shame that Joe won't be around that much anymore and that Cecile is the one staying because, honestly, I don't find her character interesting at all. Her powers are really big, yes, but I guess that's the main issue, she's 'too powerfull' which takes the fun out of things (plus, I don't think Danielle Nicolet is a great actress, at least, not as Cecile so... it always puts me off). On top of that, I don't really care about Allegra and Chester's relationship, although Barry's comment in this episode was gold, and as far as the pregancy goes... I guess we'll see what happens. This comming three months earlier will definitely mess things up so we'll see...

All in all, I'm curious to see where the remaining of the season goes and if everything else fails, we will at least have Stephen Amell to look forward to so there's that.

But I guess that's it from me. Let me know what you thought of this episode as well as this Red Death storyline which I assume is done by now and tell me what are you looking forward to in the next episodes.

Love,
Daniela

No comments:

Post a Comment