Pages

Friday, November 20, 2020

Supernatural | Season 15 Episode 20 - "Carry On"

 

 

Spoiler Alert!

 

Hello everybody!  

Here it is, the very final Supernatural rant. I would be lying if I said I was fine- I'm not. Not only it's so sad that I won't be reviewing this show anymore (my second favorite all time show) but also it's just sad that the show is ending. (I also really regret not watching this earlier because it has been like 4/5 years since I started watching it and I could and should have watched it sooner. But that's a conversation for another time). And well, not only I'm sad that I won't have any new episodes, I also wasn't exactly happy with how it all ended, which is the perfect transitions to move on to my actual review.

I said in my latest review that I had no idea where this was going (well, I had two options, which kind of both happened). I always had my predictions though, and I stand by them (I still believe my theory was better than what ended up happening) but they went on a completely different and not good direction.

The episode actually began with Sam and Dean adapting to their 'normal' life - like doing laundry and making the bed and all that stuff that we 'normal people' do - and they also show that Dean adopted the dog that we saw in the last episode. It was pretty cute and funny, with them even going to a Pie Festival, which was priceless. However, things that to turn dark, and they went very dark very quickly. They come across a strange murder and kidnapping that turned out to be vampires - a case that their father worked on in 1986 but was never able to solve. The Winchesters capture one of the vampires using the pattern that John had established and with that they also find their nest. One of the vampires is Jenny who the Winchesters had encountered on their first vampires case (which, to be completely honest with you, I really can't remember her). Well, needless to say that the brothers fight the vampires but that's when things take a dark tone. They do take out all of the vampires, but in the middles of the fight, Dean is impaled on a metal spike and there's no way back. He can't move and he's slowly dying. All that's left is saying everything he needs to say to Sam and... That's it. This is also when things start not making a lot of sense. One, Sam didn't even try to save Dean. I mean, he said he would get someone but as soon as Dean said that it was over for him, and asks Sam to not do any deals because that always ends badly, Sam just gives up and 'accepts' Dean's death. That just didn't make sense to me because in all the other 14 seasons this exact same thing happened and Sam (nor Dean) ever stopped trying to save his brother so... This was just odd (and messy writing).

The images that followed were some of the saddest ones ever! Sam, by himself (well, with the dog), mourning Dean and trying to get on with his life. And eventually he takes on a job by himself, which was so sad. 

Then, we move to Dean's point of view and we see him in Heaven, where he's reunited with Bobby who reveals that Jack reshaped Heave with Castiel's help. That was nice, not only because we knew there was some happiness for Dean but also this meant that Castiel is alive, not in The Empty, and is with Jack, which is also cute. Then... Cue the montage.

Dean drives off through Heaven in the Impala while we see the life that Sam had - having kids, having a family, growing old and dying of natural causes. And, the episode ends with Sam and Dean reunited in Heaven after Sam's death. 

As I said in the beginning, it was a really bittersweet ending. On one hand I understand why they went with this ending - it's what made sense for the characters. Dean always said that he wanted to go down fighting and hunting, and Sam always wanted a family, so this all made sense in that way. However, it bugged me that this happened this soon, that Dean died this soon and the way he died. Like, they were fighting God last episode and they defeated him, but a nest of vampires and a metal spike?! That was too much for Dean. I don't know, it just seems farfetched to me that the were able to defeat God and a day later be killed by something so random as a metal spike. I would go with another ending, to be honest, but if they really wanted to do it this way, they should've done two more episodes - this episode should have been episode 22, and episode 20 and 21 should've been about them going back to hunting and to their 'normal life' after defeating god. Then, after establishing that some time had passed, then could have killed one of them. Of course, I wished they would get old together and die of old age together, but in that case I would be 'better' with their deaths. I don't know... That's just my thought...

And I guess that's pretty much what I have to say about the finale. I kind of wish the previous episode was the last episode now, but okay... More than anything I'm more sad that the show is over and that I won't be watching a new episode every single week. Also, because of that, I'll have to choose another show to cover here so... I'll see which show I'm feeling and I'll ask you guys on twitter or Instagram which show should I cover here on the blog, so stay tuned to my social media. Also, if you want to see my 'live' video reaction of the episode, head over to my channel - youtube.com/danixinhahhh - I had to cut a lot of the episode because of copyright issues but you can still see where my head's at while watching it. 

Anyway, that's it from me. Let me know what you thought of the finale and I'll see you guys in two weeks with a brand new The Challenge rant (THAT'S exciting!).

Love,

Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment