Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2021

The Flash | Season 7 Episode 13 - "Masquerade"


Spoiler Alert!

 

Hey!

Here I am again to talk about The Flash and, unfortunately, I don't bring good news.

That's right, The Flash is back to their not so great episodes, and one might say that this is because this is the first episode without Cisco and... It's not! To be completely honest, I didn't even miss him that much. Heck, if it wasn't for the characters saying over and over again that Cisco wasn't with them anymore I wouldn't even think about that. The truth is, this is not the first time that Cisco has been absent from a number of episodes, so it's natural that I wouldn't pay that much attention to that. Anyway, Cisco not being around isn't the reason why this episode was bad - the directing and writing was.

It really pains me to say this because, in a way, I really connected with this episode and I see how important it is but... They went about the wrong way.

So this episode picks up basically right after where the last one left of, with that scene with Cecile seeing a mask in the mirror. Well, we learn right in the beginning of the episode that Cecile isn't Cecile and someone (or something) is controlling her. That part was fun. I was invested in learning more about was happening and I wanted to know who was doing this. But then everything fell apart when it's revealed that it's a mask that is 'controlling' Cecile. But the thing is, I don't think the mask is the reason why Cecile is trapped somewhere - because then we learn that Cecile has a dark side to her and that's what keeping her from getting out of her head, and this is also when I get conflicted.

The thing is that this whole Cecile thing is about mental health and I loved that they explained how someone feels and the metaphor of being trapped inside your own head with yourself as your enemy is great, but the way they went about it really s*cked. The directing was awful and the 'dark Cecile' was so cliché! Plus, the writing of the episode, where the story went and everything made no sense (to the point that I don't even know what that mask was doing). Yes, it was a mess.

There's one nice thing about the episode though - Sue Dearborn. Yes, she came by herself (and yes, I'm still salty about the whole Ralph/Hartley thing) but she brought a different dynamic to the Team. And I'm also excited that, apparently, she's going to stick around for a few episodes (at least, she will be in the next one). The truth is, with so many characters leaving, they have to bring new people into the Team, which leads me to the whole Chester story-line in this episode.

Don't get me wrong, I like Chester and this episode actually made me like him even more, but this thing about not belonging to the Team is a bit old. I don't know if they have done this before or not, but it just seems way too cheesy and unnecessary. I don't know, I wasn't a fan of that story-line... But again, I wasn't a fan of this episode in general so...

But, the episode does end with something exciting. Turns out Joe is looking into that FBI lady (who I now know is called Agent Kramer - any connection to John Kramer aka Jigsaw?) and he's finding out some dirt on her so... This looks like a promising story-line - let's hope they don't ruin it.

So I guess that's it for me. Mixed feelings towards this episode but, in the end, I wasn't fan - mainly because of the execution. Let me know what you thought of the episode and if you feel like me - important story but handled in the wrong way - and I'll talk to you in my next rant!

Love,

Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment