Pages

Friday, April 1, 2022

The Flash | Season 8 Episode 9 - "Phantoms"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello people!

I know, I know... Late as per usual. Honestly, I don't even know what to say about this episode... It was pretty lame! But I guess I'm a little bit to blame because, after last week's episode that was actually nice, I was somewhat excited about this episode and... It just disappointed me.

We do follow the same plot as in the last episode and, from the looks of it, this fire thing will be the season's bad guy. It's actually an interesting concept because, as we find out by the end of the episode, this is not a meta - the fire has a mind of it's own and is targeting people by iself (not controlled by someone). That is a nice thing and, finally, something different (not another speedster). However, they went in such a weird direction with this episode.

The episode starts with someone else dying but, this time, Barry and Chester find a tiny flame in the corpse. After that, Chester starts having nightmares of the flame breaking free from the glass it is contained and it then escalates to the flame actually targeting Chester - posing as his father in order to get Chester to go with him (aka die). That's when they realise that this fire, not only has it's own mind, but it's also targetting people that are dealing with grief (they also realise that after Joe lets them know that the latest victim was also dealing with grief).

Well, as you can expect, Chester was able to resist it and now Team Flash has to find a way to stop this fire from killing more people.

At the same time, we follow Iris and Sue (yes, Sue is back and no, they do not talk about Ralph - I'm still salty about everything that happened to Hartley and how they completely erased his character from the show) following the first meta in Coast City. They find her pretty quickly and there's a whole backstory but, honestly, I really didn't care that much for that side plot. I'm pretty sure Tinya will be relevant in future episodes but, for now, she did not interest me.

Lastly, Dion shows up and, after checking on Iris in the beginning of the episode, he comes back with bad news - and that's how the episode ends.

You know what, I feel like this whole Iris story-line is leading to her dying or something. I think it's pretty clear that Iris isn't really interacting with Team Flash anymore and we barely see her with Barry either, which is odd considering how much the 'supposedly' love each other. I think all of this is due to the chemistry between Candice and Grant just not being there. I might be making up something but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Grant doesn't really want to do physical stuff with her (or is it the other way around?) but I don't know... Again, I might be making this up. Either way, it's pretty clear that they do not have any sort of chemistry and I think it's about time they break up that relationship and the best way is to have Iris gone.

So, that's ir from me. I hope this story gets somewhere interesting (the one with the fire, I mean). Let  me know your thoughts on both story-lines and what do you think will happen to Iris? Do you think she'll be dead by the end of the season? Tell me everything and I'll talk to you soon with a (very late) Peaky Blinders rant!

Love,
Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment