Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2020

The Flash | Season 6 Episode 18 - "Pay the Piper"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello people!
I'm back for a new week of rants and I'm happy to report that we're starting on a good note.
That's right guys, this week's episode of The Flash was pretty good. Not as good as it used to be, but still better than some of the previous episodes. And you know why? Because for once they focused on Barry/The Flash and 'forgot' the Iris/Eva story-line. You already know how I feel about that (and I'm going to talk a bit more throughout the post) so I'm not going to focus on that (now). Instead, let's start with some good things. The episode still had it's downs, which I'll get into later, but there was a lot about it that I liked so let's talk about those first.
As we saw in the preview, this episode was going to be kind of about Godspeed, and that is already a good thing. I said this while I was live tweeting but I'll say it again - Godspeed would be such a better villain than Eva. I guess they're setting that up for an upcoming season, but I wish they had done that this season. But, apart from Godspeed we also had the comeback of Hartley Rathaway.
We learn that Crisis messed up the timeline even more and that Hartley is even madder at The Flash than he was before. Luckily, Team Flash comes up with an idea - saving Hartley's boyfriend that was injured the last time Barry and Hartley fought, in exchange for Hartley helping Barry defeat Godspeed. It doesn't work that well in the beginning but, as usual, they manage to do it. It's a long process but we all know that Hartley is a softie deep down and, personally, I love him. So, he does help Barry and they do kind of defeat Godspeed in the end (and help Hartley's boyfriend). I say kind of because, in the end, it is revealed that this wasn't the real Godspeed, yet again, and that there's someone 'controlling' these Godspeeds. Also, side note, am I the only one that didn't remember they had caught so many Godspeeds already?! I don't know but lately it seems like they're adding up stuff to the story that didn't happen in previous seasons. Maybe it's just that there has been too much going on. Let me know if you remember in which episodes this happened or if they just mentioned it in this episode.
The other story-line that I enjoyed, even though it was clearly filler and just a plot point to send Caitlin off, was Ralph and Frost. Caitlin's story-line in the previous episode was almost nothing and it really annoyed me. At least, in this episode, it was deeper and better explained. Also, yeah, maybe I'm a bit biased because it involves Ralph and I'm a sucker for anything with Ralph. I can't help it. He's such a great character! However, it was pretty clear that they were trying to cover up Danielle's pregnancy and that this was a way to not have her in the last episodes which, by the way, are not happening anymore (I'll get into that in a minute).
On a more technical level, I think this episode was pretty strong. Not only they brought back those chasing scenes with The Flash and another speedster, which I love, but also the editing in the Mirrorverse with Iris and Kamilla was so good! I wish they had done that throughout the whole season when it was scenes in the Mirrorverse. Well, but that was about it when it comes to good things in the Mirrorverse. I'm really so tired of the whole Iris and Eva thing, you have no idea... The whole concept looks dumb to me and there's way too many plot wholes. Just get done with it already! Well, I guess they are.
That's right guys, next week's episode will be the season finale. That really caught me off guard. I knew they didn't have time to film the last three episodes but I thought they were going to wait, just like Supernatural. Well, I guess not. I don't know what that's going to work and how everything is going to wrap up but, to be honest, I'm not expecting much. This season didn't look good already and with an unexpected ending... Everything points to a crappy season finale but... I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong!
Anyway, Cisco did talk about going to Atlantis to get something so... Are we going to see Aquaman?! I doubt it, to be honest, but with Ezra Miller in the crossover... You never know.
And... That's it from me. An improvement but not enough to save this season...
Let me know your thoughts on this episode and what are your predictions for the season finale and I'll see you tomorrow for a brand new rant!
Love,
Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment