Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Peaky Blinders | Season 6 Episode 1 - "Black Day"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello people!

That's right, I'm back with a new post and a brand new series! I mean, it's not exactly a new series - it's an 'old' one - but it's a new one here on the blog! Unfortunately, it's going to be a one time thing because Season 6 is Peaky Blinders' last season so... Started too late but oh well... 

I actually just discovered Peaky Blinders while on quarantine, back in 2020, and I became obsessed with it! I rewatched the whole series twice in a month and I really went all out on getting every piece of merch I could get my hands on during that time... So, of course, I knew that when the new season would start, I would have to write about it. Unfortunately, at that time, I didn't know Season 6 would be the last one... But still, I'm pretty stoked to talk to you about what has become one of my all time favourite shows! So let's get to it!

It's really interesting because, althought I remembered very vividly everything about last season (Season 5), it just felt odd the start of this new one. Maybe it's because it's exactly that, the start of a new, maybe it's because I'm off  that high of being obsessed with the show, or maybe it's just because it's a completely different storyline.

Yes, although the last season ended with a huge cliffhanger, and this first episode started right where the last one ended, that was just really the beginning. After a few scenes we fast-forward 4 years and... A lot has changed...

Not only we lost a few more members of the Shelby family (one of them being Polly, which is so sad... We knew that would happen, which I guess makes it even more sad) but Tommy has changed (in a few things...), one of the main ones - he stopped drinking! Say what?! Tommy Shelby stopped drinking and now drinks water?! I can sense that becoming a meme amongst the fans of the show... 

On the flip side, Arthur is drinking more than ever and, from what I understood, he's also taking drugs - opium - which that is the main subject of this season.

Tommy has now turn is back on the whiskey market and now wants to sell opium. And after the scenes with the funerals for the people that died last season, when we fast forward 4 years, we see Tommy heading to a meeting with Michael, who he hasn't spoken since Polly's death. This whole thing is a huge plan, as we can imagine, which ends (for now) with Michael in prison for the possession of opium.

By now we already know who the villain is this season - Michael. We already knew he was going to be, but now it's clear. However, I think there's a bigger player here - Uncle Jack. 

I believe we haven't met him yet but he's Gina's uncle and he's a south Boston gang leader so... Something tells me this will end up involving those Irish Boston gangs and the Italians (as Tommy mentions in the episode) just like in The Irishman or The Godfather. 

Those were the main plot points of the episode. But I guess another huge thing was the phone call Tommy got from Lizzie at the end of the episode mentioning what Ruby said while in delirium from a fever - something in gypsy language that, after looking it up, looks like it translates to 'baby dying/baby ghost, oh devil'. That part looks really interesting so I'm curious to see where that leads.

After that Tommy decides to head back to England and that's how the episode ends - with Tommy pissing off Michael about Gina also going to England and Tommy showing Londong to her. Looks promising!

All in all, I really vibed with the cinematography and soundtrack, as always, but I'm still not 100% in with the story. It's pretty different from the other seasons and the completely dropped the whole Oswald Mosley storyline which was really interesting... I should've expected that, to be honest, because they usually do that in the beginning of a new season but I didn't so... Yeah, that's it from me.

Let me know your thoughts on the episode and tell me if you're a fan of the series and for how long have you been watching it! I'm really excited to see all your thoughts and predictions - it's a new show here on the blog so let's talk about it!

But that's it now... Talk to you next week (The Flash is back!).

Love,
Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment