Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist | Season 2 Episode 1 - "Zoey's Extraordinary Return"


Spoiler Alert!

 

Hello everyone!

So here it is, the brand new addition to the blog - Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. With the end of Supernatural I thought I should bring a new show to the blog for me to review and, after asking on Twitter, I decided on Zoey's Playlist. I started watching the show actually just last year, during quarantine, but I fell in love with it right away. And it's so weird because it's not my type of show at all but I just loved the story, the characters, the songs... Yeah, I love it so much to the point that I didn't even know if I wanted to review it. You know, when you love a show so much that you don't want to "bother" with analyzing it? No? Is it just me? I don't know, but in the end I decided to review it and with this big ass introduction, I guess it's time to really get into the episode. (Oh, and I know I'm a little bit late).

This episode jumps straight into the story, which was a bit jarring at first. I don't know, I guess I was expecting a bit of an introduction... But we jump straight to Zoey not being her best self after her dad's death. They do address the fact that 6 weeks have passed so it's not a huge amount of time but it's still a good amount of time where things changed, and that's when the story of the episode really starts.

Mo is able to cheer Zoey and, after six weeks, she leaves her rooms, dresses up and goes to work. Once she arrives at SPRQ Point, she's faced with a bunch of changes - Leif was replacing her as the 'supervisor', he also changed the desks to standing desks, hired someone to replace Max - a new character called George - there's dogs in the workplace now, no bar and, on top of all of that, Joan wants to promote her and make her the head of that whole floor (basically replace Joan). I already knew that Lauren Graham was leaving the show so I was curious to know what would happen to her and to the company. We now know.

Anyway, all those changes really overwhelmed Zoey and, on top of that, she got her powers back and had the whole company singing to her. Yeah, a bit too much for a first day.

Oh, I completely forgot to mention one of my favorite parts of the episode - Max and Zoey meeting before she goes to work. Max gives her a shield ring which has a music note reversed so it resembles a Z. OMG, could Max be any cuter? (and well, you didn't know this but I guess it's pretty obvious now that I'm team Max right?) Which leads me to the next scene - Zoey going to Mo's house and being faced with Mo, Max and Simon all hanging out together. And has she arrives and they're watching football, she's met with one of the funniest lines of the episodes - you're going to have to pick a team (or something along those lines) - which just made me laugh so hard. No other show does what Zoey's Playlist does - this shows plays with that ship concept and that you have a 'team' and I just love that about this show. Well, after that follows a music number with Max and Simon singing to Zoey 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' which, again, I loved!

Needless to say that all this stuff has been too much for Zoey to handle so she goes back home and has to deal with more stuff - her grief. She finds some videos that her dad left on his computer and, at first, they are too much for the family to handle but, by the time the episode ends, they come across a video where Mitch is feeling 'fine' and he just tells them to move on after he's gone and, of course (because this is a show) that gives them some perspective and things start getting better. 

For the most part I love this show because it is so relatable. It puts things as they are and, as we see in this episode, it's hard to deal with things like these and Zoey is so relatable and the show openly talks about all this important topics and yeah, I just love that. Of course, things have to move on a bit quicker than they would in real life (I imagine) and so that's the only thing that's not so believable, but I get it (I mean, that and her seeing people singing songs, of course).

With things put into perspective, Zoey decides to accept Joan's offer and, in the very end of the episode, she also decides to address what happened between her and Max before they get the call about her father (the whole make out session and whatnot) and the episode just ends with her kissing Max! I ship them so hard so I was so happy to see her 'choosing' him! However, I'm with people in general - this is the first episode of the second season and they're 'already together' so... Something tells me things won't go smoothly for them. But I'm okay with that, as long as they end up together in the end. We'll see what happens next episode.

I guess that's it for me for this first Zoey's Playlist rant. Let me know what you thought of the episode and in which Team you're on (Simon or Max) and I'll see you soon with another review!

Love,

Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment