Pages

Friday, November 16, 2018

American Horror Story: Apocalypse | Season 8 Episode 10 - "Apocalypse Then"


Spoiler Alert!

Hello everyone!
Here we are with the final rant of American Horror Story: Apocalypse and, as you can expect, I have a whole lot of things to talk about.
Truth be told, I feel very weird about this episode. Not only I watched it in two parts (I had to leave for some time and then watch the rest) but I also feel like my thoughts are divided into three different sections - the first half of the episode I quite enjoyed (I mean, there was still parts from the past, but okay...), the middle part I didn't like, and the final part I thought it was nice. So, in summary, I just wish the middle part could have met the rest of the episode even though, if they did change it, at least, in the way I would like, the end would be totally different but yeah... Anyway...
The episode starts right away with more flashbacks and that made my hopes get instantly down. I was so sick of the flashbacks and was really hoping this would be all present day and seeing that right in the beginning... It didn't look good to me. I then made piece with it because we find out a lot of things such as how the witches got Mallory and Coco into Outpost 3 as well as made them forget about who they were and create new identities, so Mallory's powers could grow. The only issue I had with this was that Cordelia wasn't thinking about stopping the apocalypse, she just wanted to kill Michael. But okay...
Then we see then finding about Dinah's involvement in all of this and right after we also see Cordelia, Myrtle and Madison bury themselves in the swamp mud to survive the nuclear bombings.
And that's when we get back to Present day (finally!).
We see the Coven facing Michael Langdon and then that's when the nice things start to happen!
Dinah pledges allegiance to the Antichrist, but right away a newly regenerated Marie Laveau kills Dinah for her betrayal. I love Angela Basset so I was so stoked to see her back (even though I knew she was going to be in this episode).
Cordelia then destroys Mead while Madison shoots Langdon to buy time for Mallory to enact the time travel spell. Then, a big chain of events happen! Michael gets back to life while Madison is distracted and my favorite part of the whole episode was Michael blowing up with Madison's head! That was priceless! Not only I don't like Madison, but it was also pretty surprising, so loved it!
After killing Madison, Marie Laveau tries to do something but Michael rips out her heart, eats it and, when Coco tries to do something as well, he also kills her! And, while all of this is happening, Brock comes out of no where (I didn't even remember that he was still in the Outpost) and stabs Mallory, leaving her really weak and not able to do the time travel spell. That's what the most expected thing happens - Cordelia kills herself so Mallory can have her full power and do the spell.
And, the worst part of the episode happens.
Mallory performs the spell and returns to 2015, where she runs over a younger Langdon multiple times, killing him. 
Like, how could something like that happen?! I get that he was younger and so not as strong as in present day but... C'mon! He got shot like 20 times in the present day and he survived. How could he be run over and not to?! I got really pissed off with that because, besides loving Michael to death and wanting him to win, this was just quick and, in my opinion, poorly written.
Anyway... Mallory then, eventually, returns to the Coven house and, in a way, saves Queenie, Misty and Nan from their previous fates. 
This also messed me up a little because I thought she had to go back to 'present day' but no, she was still in 2015... I don't know.. It kind of makes sense but it kinda doesn't... All I know is that, the only thing that I enjoyed about this part was that she knew where Madison was but she chose to let her stay in her own hell. At least, for a little longer.
And, in the very end, we see what then happens in 2020 and we see Timothy and Emily (remember them?!) meet, marry and a son together, who later kills his nanny. Then, LaVey, Crowe and Mead visit them, saying that they are there to help them. And that's the end.
I kind of liked that ending because it was a good homage to the Murder House ending and it basically told us that, no matter what you do, a new Antichrist is going to be born - it's the prophecy, and I liked that as well.
My only issue was that it looked like they thought 'Oh, remember Timothy and Emily? We haven't done anything with them. Let's put them here.'. That's kind of what it looked like to me but remember, Michael chose them to be in the Outpost saying that they had special DNA so... Maybe be knew all along that they would create a new Antichrist... Who knows?!
I just know that, as expected, they really rushed the events in this episode and the deaths that happened, didn't really happen and that made them way less impactful. At least, in my opinion. I think it would be a much better ending if Michael won (maybe not killing all the witches) and they they stretched this story to the next season (which was what a lot of people wanted). That would be way better but, what can you do?!
Let me know how you feel about this ending. Where you rooting for Michael like I was or am I just that twisted? Tell me everything in the comments and I'll talk to you tomorrow!
Love,
Daniela.

1 comment: